Ignorance

I've been mulling this over for the past couple of days before deciding to 'commit' this event to my blog but I've come to the conclusion that it's best to put these things down in writing so I don't have to mull over them anymore.

A couple of nights back I met the most ignorant American I've ever had the misfortune to come into contact with.

Now, I respect that someone, anyone, ha
s the right to their own religious and personal beliefs - that's something I need to say before I continue with my vent, of sorts.

Anyway, we were at the bookstore, as we usually are after having had our evening Starbucks, and the lil guy was playing, (sort of) at the train table over in the kiddies' section when this boy appears and starts trying to make the tractor, (minus it's tracks) move on the train tracks.
He looks about 7 or so, fairly quiet compared to the kids that usually frequent the place and come into contact with the lil man, (he usually gets 'em smiling at him at the very least).

Before long, his mother and big sis roll up and his mother settles herself in one of the chairs, the daughter sits down on the floor at the mother's feet.
Soon after, we strike up general chit-chat, talking about
our kids, about how I'm from England, how she used to go out with some English bloke for about three years and travel, that sort of thing.
She mentions that her daughter would like to go to school in England, talks about the cost and blah-de-blah-de-blah.

I just happen to mention about the amount of American expats there are living over in the UK and she starts waffling on something about them coming from Vietnam - totally confusing me and getting me thinking 'what the heck is she on??!'

Next thing she's asking about the stereotypical Brit. Ummmm, helloooooo!!! Didn't you used to go out with one missus?? She just came across as sooooo ignorant!
That said, she asked about the ability to spot an American abroad to which Hubs replied that Americans stand out a mile because of their naff dress sense and arrogant, patronising manner!

After all this guff the woman's talk turned back towards raising children and she then proceeded to tell me which books I should read and how she and her husband had been to some seminar about these books and how it was all connected to God.


Well, that was about enough for us - Hubs turned to me and suggested that it was time for us to go home!

All the way to the truck he was ranting about this woman and how it was people like her who made him want to not wait to get out of this country!

Both of us sincerely hope that we don't have the misfortune to bump into this woman again.




Labels: , , , , ,

Permalink | 0 Comments